This history will be added to as we find out more about Cliftoria.
Built sometime between 1842 and the 1870s as a large family home by Daniel Kennedy and named by him as Cliftoria
1878 Daniel Kennedy paid rates on a fenced lot in the middle of section 15 and did not pay rates on any Clifford Street property. This suggests that Cliftoria was built sometime between now and when it is shown on the map in 1882.
1882 Drawn as part of the illustrated town map of Goulburn as part of the colony of New South Wales https://cliftoria.wordpress.com/2016/02/06/a-single-picture-is-worth-a-thousand-words/
1888 Drawn as part of the illustrated town map of Goulburn as part of the colony of New South Wales https://cliftoria.wordpress.com/2016/02/06/a-single-picture-is-worth-a-thousand-words/
1890 Daniel Kennedy owned two blocks on Clifford Street of 94 feet (empty) and 123 feet (home) according to the Goulburn rates books.
1900 Mrs Kennedy paid rates on the 217 feet
1906 Estate of Mrs Kennedy paid rates on 217 feet while Miss Alice Kennedy occupied the home
July 1913 Cliftoria opened as Nurse Clara Mulholland’s Private Hospital. More details about being a hospital is available on the 09 November 2017 blog post “Cliftoria as a hospital”. https://cliftoria.wordpress.com/2017/11/09/cliftoria-as-a-hospital/
July 1915 Cliftoria ceased operating as Nurse Mulholland’s Private Hospital and all furnishings and surgery equipment were sold.
05 October 1915 Boarding House run by E. Swift
11 November 1916 Private Clarence E. Swift 24 years old of Cliftoria boards the HMAT Suevic at Sydney for WWI (mother Ellen Swift) He does return from the war.
23 November 1916 To let or for sale by C.E. Gilling
24 November 1916 Furniture sale by auction by the Misses Swift as they are relinquishing housekeeping and everything must be sold.
08 January 1918 Working as a Boarding House again with advertisements for board and residence with vacancies for 3 gentlemen
01 August 1918 For sale one pram in good order. Apply Mrs J. Roffe, Cliftoria, Clifford St.
17 June 1924 To let Cliftoria
26 September 1925 Cliftoria had been converted into 5 flats. To let 5 flats. All large airy rooms. Absolutely separate and self-contained with all conveniences. Apply Batts and Son
03 October 1925 To let 3 flats. Apply Batts and Son
25 March 1926 For auction the estate of Mrs AE Jones, late of Cliftoria Flats.
c. 1928 Postcard of Cliftoria. https://cliftoria.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/pretty-as-a-postcard/
01 May 1928 Cliftoria is shown in the May edition of The Home. https://cliftoria.wordpress.com/2017/12/31/cliftoria-in-1928/
08 June 1936 Mrs Tom McDonald of Cliftoria Flats is a patient at St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney
September 1960 An architectural survey of Goulburn and District, New South Wales, By Donald Coleman included three photographs of Cliftoria and some writing. https://cliftoria.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/cliftoria-was-in-a-review/
1960s Some sort of concrete coating was applied to the outside of Clifftoria
09 March 1991 Restoration of the exterior of Cliftoria and painting to its current colours. Cliftoria is still five flats.
1995 Work done on updating and repairing the dormer windows
11 July 2002 Sold at auction
2007 Wind damage to front balcony repaired
February 2011 Advertisement 1/128 Clifford Street for rent
April 2011 Advertisement 4/128 Clifford Street for rent
May 2013 Advertisement 1/128 Clifford Street for rent
2013 Work was done to convert the 5 flats back into one building. The aim of the owner was to turn Cliftoria into an art gallery with accommodation but the work was not completed when the building was put up for sale due to financial issues.
10 August 2013 Sold to us